Long-term Monitoring Program and Experiential Training for Students
Salmon Creek Beach
- GPS coordinates:
- 38° 20.95’ N, 123° 4.8’ W
- LiMPETS monitoring site since:
- Salmon Creek Beach is located just north of Bodega Bay in the Sonoma Coast State Beach. Off of Highway 1, turn west on the road just south of Salmon Creek and follow the creek to the parking lot.
- There are outhouses in the parking lot.
- Site description:
- To reach the survey area, walk over the dunes to the end of the trail. At this beautiful state beach, a lagoon forms as sand closes the mouth of Salmon Creek. The beach is a nesting area for the western snowy plover, a threatened species because of loss of nesting habitat due to human development, invasion of European beach grass and predation by ravens, foxes, domestic dogs and cats.
- Permit and visitor information:
- Part of the Sonoma Coast State Beach, Salmon Creek Beach is a protected area for the snowy plover. Dogs and fires on these beaches are prohibited. No permit is required for monitoring; however, if you plan to collect crabs for parasite analysis, a fishing license or scientific collecting permit is needed. Call the park at (707) 875-3483 to let them know of your plans to monitor.
- Contact your LiMPETS site coordinator:
- Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association • The Presidio, 991 Marine Drive, San Francisco, CA 94129 • • (415) 561-6625 x303